Third/Fourth Day

        Today I plan to design a database for all of the data that I now have from the script. I am going to make an 'Entity Relationship Diagram' or ERD to help me plan it out before I start coding. Instead of a traditional ERD that looks like a flowchart I just drew out each data table I would use. Here is a link to the layout that I plan to use.
         When I got home I started to look into the csv module for python. After reading a lot about it and messing around I was able to create a very small script that just printed each line. I continued to mess around until I had a better understanding of how to manipulate the data. I then created a repository on Github for my little script so that I could continue to use it when I returned to the ACC. After having it set up I explore git a little more so that I could understand how to push, pull, commit, and lots of other things. Here is a link to the repo.
        I wanted to make sure that this was working so I set out to make a virtual machine (VM) that would run linux. I used VirtualBox for my VM application. I downloaded an iso file of Ubuntu to my computer and tried to configure a VM. I was able to launch it, but it kept saying that it could not find a drive to boot off of. After a few tries I could not quite figure it out, so I decided to ask in the IRC channel. It turns out I had just made a small mistake. I had not waited for the iso file to download all of the way before I launched the VM for the first time. So I remade the VM and it worked. I followed basic instructions to configure my VM. Then I launched Firefox and added my SSH key to my Github account so that I could edit my repo from inside the VM.
          Once my account was linked I cloned the master branch into a testing folder. I then ran into another problem; I did not know how to run my program from the linux terminal. I did not make any more progress with that, but I began to look into how I would apply my script to more than one file. This is my plan for Monday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Day

Fifth Day

Second Day